History of IJMA

Indian Jute Mills Association (IJMA), a 137-year-old organisation is rapidly and steadily finding its place in the modern world. IJMA has always been the leading organisation of the jute industry; right from the time the imperialist British brought in technology, know-how and industrial interests from Dundee, Scotland to relocate the jute industry in Bengal’s Ganga Delta, where flowing water (an essential ingredient) is still plentiful to this day. Individual investments flowed and Bengal became the supplier to the world for environment friendly jute packaging material. Today, all these jute mills are owned by Indian industrial families and they supply an essential component to save the earth from climate change and annihilation, viz jute bags, which meld into the ground four years after being discarded. Today, IJMA has 36 jute mills as members, it regularly interacts with the Government of India’s Ministries of Food and Public Distribution, Textiles, Labour and Employment, Commerce and sometimes with External Affairs. IJMA helps in formulating government policy on this vital part of the National Food Security Mission (NFSM). It regularly updates itself and its website assets on such policy at www.fibreofindia.com. Till now, IJMA has always been confined to policy work affecting the jute mills. However, in this new world, as is inevitable, IJMA is getting into research and cooperation for enhancing the associated parts of this industry viz agriculture, logistics of raw material and its trading. IJMA also conducts internal meetings to discuss the trends in the industry. For the future, IJMA is tying up with other companies / organisations to modernise various aspects of the jute cycle such as satellite crop reading, supply chain from farm to bag and intake of future ready technology for existing mills to increase their efficiency. IJMA currently employs 17 people who report to the Director General who in turn reports to the Executive Committee headed by the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman.

The history of the Indian Jute Mills Association goes back to the year 1884 when a few representatives of the majority of the Indian jute mills decided to form the Indian Jute Manufacturing Association. In July, 1902 the Association was named as the Indian Jute Mills Association. In 1931 the Indian Jute Mills Association was registered under the Indian Trade Union Act, 1926. Thereafter, the Association was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on the 28th July, 1989. During its long history of about 130 years the Association has set up the Indian Jute Mills Association Research Institute in August, 1943 as a Public Limited Company with liabilities of the members limited. Later in 1966 the Research Organization was renamed as the Indian Jute Industries Research Association. The Indian Jute Mills Association also purchased land for the Institute of Jute Technology and constructed the building and equipment for the Institute with furniture, fittings and machinery by raising the required funds as donation from Members of the Association. The Institute of Jute Technology started functioning from its premises in 1951 at Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata and supervisory positions in the jute mills were largely recruited from this Institute.

With effect from 1st July, 2011 the Institute of Jute Technology has been converted into a Technology Department of the University of Calcutta and named as the Department of Jute and Fibre Technology, Institute of Jute Technology. In the past the Indian Jute Mills Association has regularly contributed to the funding of the research work being carried out at the Central School of Tropical Medicine, established the Gandhi Memorial Hospital at Kalyani, contributed generously in the setting up of some scholarships and various types of funds for the betterment of jute workmen and the society at large. The Association is functioning since long from its premises in the 3rd floor of the Royal Exchange Building (Popularly known as Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry Building) at 6, Netaji Subhas Road, Kolkata – 700001.

Day to day of the work of Association broadly concerns liaison with Central and State Governments, provide service to members, promote trade and public relation, promote research, product development and foster goodwill and better understanding among all members engaged in the business and trade of jute and discourage and avoid unhealthy competition, restrictive trade practice in all matters relating to the business and trade of jute. The Indian Jute Mills Association is recognized by all concerned as the apex organization representing the Indian jute industry. At present 37 composite jute mills are the members of the Association. All important data concerning the jute industry is maintained in the office of the Association and is available for use by its Members. The Association functions through its Committee which consists of not more than 14 members to be elected from among the Members of the Association.

Royal Exchange, 3rd Floor, 6, Netaji Subhash Road, Kolkata - 700 001.